Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Out of Albany to Walpole

I was having difficulty with loading my pictures onto my iPad and as a result had filled up my camera card. Albany is bigger than any place else we were to be over the next week, so while Michael got a hair cut I went in search of the DickSmith store to either replace the camera connector and/or get a new film card. The store was a street that looked to be 2 blocks away, so off I went on foot. I had not counted on how long a street it was. I lucked upon a store that carried the iPad connecters. They were nice and let me try a new connecter and ascertained the problem was with my iPad. So off I went to get the camera card another mile down the road. Mission accomplished I started to walk back to town, Only to realize I had gone the wrong way and it began to rain. About an hour and a half I returned to a worried Michael who had gotten a lovely clip at Rons. What a way to tie up the whole morning. On our way out we took a better picture of the Albany Entertainment Center. On further thought, it lacks the grace of The Sydney Opera House and looks more like the top part of Darth Vader's mask. The building did have good acoustics.


And so we bid a fond farewell to Albany. We set off for Walpole via Denmak. We headed for a luncheon spot outside of Denmark, which was to have a lovely view. We drove and drove but no Observatory. Come to find out, the restaurant was sold and is under new management. What a lovely spot with a terrific view when we backtracked. The food was excellent. I had a tossed beet salad that was luscious. I took lots of pictures, which should be here, but later on, I accidentally erased them when I formatted the new image card. I would highly reccomend this place. We would have staid there, had we known they had cottages.
Next stop was Pentland Alpaca Farm. It is a bit scrubby of a place, but I
Got to hold a 5 month Joey. He was incredibly cute and kept trying to get down my shirt. There were also two handsome koalas and an escaped baby goat that kept trying to eat my sweater. The camel was quite personable. I took many photos that also alas got erased.
Next we got to the highway and had to see The Elephant Rocks and The Green Pool. It was windy and cold, but spectacular.


The rocks look like the backs of several elephants.


These huge rocks are left over when Antartica separated from Australia. This coastland is quite wild both west and east. The Remarkable Rocks on Kangaroo Island have a similar feel.


Green Pool is a sheltered beach, where the water is calm from the surf. The end of the video ends at the beach.

YouTube Video

Of course, I found another flower.


By now it was getting late, so we raced to our lodging, Walpole Wilderness Retreat.We were now in Forrest of tall karri and tingle trees.


We arrived at dusk and got to our cabin, that was surrounded by 60 kangaroos. I made a quick foray of the Roos, when it began to pour.

YouTube Video




Our cabin could sleep up to six but had no provisions and we had precious little other than two breakfast rolls, mango, and wine. There was no heat but we lit a fire in the fire place and drank a bottle of Shiraz, with the rain pouring down. It would have been wonderful to see the stars and moon, but it was way too cloudy and stormy. We bundled under our weight in blankets and went sleep
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Walpole, Western Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment